Saturday, October 3, 2015

Construction in progress

Well I have to say, construction hasn't been moving along as quickly as I'd hoped.

Progress to date:
  East Staging Helix: The helix to east staging is built (lamination complete). Next is to install the threaded rods.
  Harbor/Coast Staging Helix: The helix lamination is complete.
  Main to Upper Level Helix: The helix lamination is complete.



Construction of the helices has taken more time than I'd expected. Not to mention being distracted by hosting ops sessions for the PSR Convention and traveling to Desert Ops South. I did have a great time at Desert Ops.

I have also spent time doing some needed work on the Exeter Branch and I installed a working rotary beacon in the Santa Fe CF7. Very cool. Please see the video below. I'll use this in my GP60 Demonstrator set as well as all Santa Fe locos. Likely UP too, but it's not a Western Cullen pattern, but is better than a flashing strobe.



I have also received the steel to be used for the benchwork. My welding skills are adequate at best, but will allow me to get construction going.




Coming up next week will be benchwork and installing the threaded rods in the helices.


4 comments:

  1. for some reason I want to play basketball...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rick,

    That time factor keeps showing up. It always takes longer than one estimates at the beginning. Just keep plugging along.

    Bill Decker

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep plugging away, Rick. It'll happen. It only took me 11 years but I finally installed the final piece of main track on the Morada Belt just two weeks ago. Much more to do (finishing scenes, buildings and installing a few more industrial spurs) but it does have the illusion of a finished railroad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rick, great work! Question - what size and thread Elevator Bolts did you use for the legs? i could not quite tell from the photo. Did you weld nuts to the tubing to screw the Elevator bolts into, or is the tubing drilled and tapped? Thanks for any help on this. Tom Sciara

    ReplyDelete