Today the installation of staging track continued. I started by installing the turnout and the front staging track on the other side from my last post. The trick is to have all the materials at hand. Believe me, it's a long walk around the peninsula.
I had purchased a Rubbermaid plastic cart a while ago and it has now been moved into the railroad room. This makes keeping the supplies handy a bit easier. And keeps the extra stuff off the railroad. Although my pictures may contradict that.
A few comments about my track laying. First, I believe in dressing the rails. For those unfamiliar with the technique, it involves using a flat file to remove the lip and add a very slight bevel to the top of the rail. And to add a slight bevel to the inside of the rail. The goal is to make it easier for the wheel and flange to transition from rail to rail without anything snagging disrupting the wheel travel.
I use Atlas joiners for Atlas track and trim them appropriately. This helps to reduce the length of the joiner and make the installation a bit cleaner. Xuron rail nippers work well for this. Not to mention the track
After getting the outside track in place, it was time to install the ladders. As I mentioned in my last post, I had spent quite a bit of time adjusting the ladders for the benchwork design (vertical posts) and compressing the ladder footprint. Next was to install the ladders on the loop end.
I completed the night's work by finishing the inside section of staging. Next up, I'll use a jig to add the rest of the staging tracks. They will be 2" on center.
More staging track to be installed. That should be soon!













Rick, I hope the 2 inch staging track spacing works for you. I recognize you have straight staging tracks. The motivator for wider spacing is the occasional need to reach in to rerail or grab a car and perhaps put a new one in. Not only did I go wider in staging (albeit on curves--reverse loop staging, but I also used 2-1/4 inch spacing in my classification yard (straight tracks). I am glad I did.
ReplyDeleteBill Decker
Hey Bill, thanks for the input. I had another email pointing that out. The Exeter Branch has 2", but it's all open staging. I'm certainly giving thought to adding more space. Fortunately, I'm at a point that I still have an opportunity to increase the spacing. You have a good point on the yard(s). I'll be kicking that around too. My other lower level staging yard will have a curve, so I will be increasing the spacing.
ReplyDelete