Wednesday, September 16, 2020

An Update and Progress

I guess I'm improving as this update is only 4 months since my last one in May...

In this blog update, I'll provide updates on the new railroad. I also have some project updates and a status on the bathroom remodel. I'll address them in separate posts.
Semi political statement: Since the NFL has decided to be divisive and political, I made the personal decision to not watch football this season. This was not an easy decision. I run a football pool, and that meant canceling the pool this year and disappointing 75+ participants. I also truly enjoy playing fantasy football. A lot! I started playing 5 years ago and had a blast. Plus I was successful which certainly helped. However, I cannot support the NFL this year due to their political stances. Thus, and important for the railroads, I now have Monday and Thursday nights free as well as Sunday after church.

SP Los Angeles Division update:
Since my last update, i spent the majority of the summer not working on the railroad. But, working on other projects: kit builds, decoder installs, rolling stock quality control, etc. Now I have resumed progress.

Once of the things that was a pain in the butt, was having to lug the gas cylinder for the welder up and down to the train room. Quite frankly: it is heavy! I mentioned to my wife that I was considering buying another cylinder to keep upstairs to save myself so time, effort, and procrastination. She suggested that I not only do that, but buy another cart as well. The end result is only moving the welder, gloves, and helmet. It's is much nicer!

Construction has resumed. I am building out the main peninsula as that is the key reference point for me to begin to lay track.


After welding the first horizontal section that was placed in the last update, I marked off the locations of the cross members and set them in place. Not attached yet. 


After welding the next section together and bringing it up through the window, it was put into place for alignment and leveling.


I use fiberglass welding blankets to protect the floors and most importantly the lower staging from welding sparks and slag.



And the section is in place. Welded and secure.





Up next will be cutting 27 more cross-members and then attaching them to the peninsula. After that, I'll make the next turn headed toward the helix with more main level benchwork.

I also changed my method for building the helices. I have two locations that will house helices. The end of the main peninsula will be a double track helix down to east staging which is in the pictures above. The other helix is near the stairs which will be double track from the main level down to harbor/valley staging. Above that will be a single track helix from the main to the upper level. 


I'll go into the new helix construction in a further post. However this decision required me to break down and dispose of the existing helices. Since the outside diameter is 7', it cannot be moved easily. The only option was to break them up. 


Lastly, the Blogger tool has been updated. The 'new' features make it a bit more difficult to use. I'll have to do some more research to determine why the features I'd like to use aren't available or I don't know how to use them. 

I hope everyone is safe and healthy.

Rick


No comments:

Post a Comment