Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Onward into 2024 - January Update

Happy New Year from the Los Angeles Division and the Exeter Branch! 

As the month of January is now in the books, I have to acknowledge that I missed the goal of running trains by the end of 2023. It was a bit aggressive and I just didn't make it. I have been very pragmatic in my approach and that has hampered my velocity. That's not to say a lot wasn't accomplished in 2023 and the month of January 2024, just that I missed the goal. I've readjusted my target and the end of June 2024 is now my goal. That will still allow me enough test sessions prior to Desert Ops 24.

With the staging yards complete, wired, and tested, it was time to install the frames for the main level. I welded the 40"x20' frames out on my back driveway. Then carried them up onto the roof and over to the window and passed them through into the layout room. The two frames I constructed were placed on the vertical posts. Clamps were used to hold the frames in place. Next up was to get everything leveled prior to any welding being done.


To the right,  you can see the level in place as things were being lined up. I also knew that I would need to add more legs as part of the design to ensure a sturdy upper level. A temporary leg is in place to the left of the orange tape measure. A spare upper level wall stanchion makes a good temporary leg.




A frame was installed on the other side of the peninsula as well. Once it is welded in place, custom fit connectors will be added to link the two frames together and form the middle section of the main level benchwork. As the connections are made, the peninsula will become more rigid. 




In the picture below, both frames are in place ready to be connected.

As I welded to the frames to the legs, it was critical to cover everything with welding blankets to protect the track and benchwork from any pieces of hot welding slag as well as sparks. 





I didn't realize that I'd have mountains added too! :) In the middle of the picture to the right, where the claps are, is that area I'm actually welding. Protection of the existing trackwork is critical.




Cross members were added to connect the two frames. 

More fabrication and welding will be done in February as the main level is installed. At least three more legs will be added to enhance the structural integrity. I could likely get by without adding them, but I'd rather over-build the structure than under-build. My goal is to avoid having to make structural adjustments after the construction has been completed. 

Once the main level frame was in place, it was time to begin the helix construction. As mentioned previously, I had my helix pieces CNC cut. I began to lay out the first of three helices that will be used. This one will be 1 2/3 turns for staging yard access.

As you can see, the helix is very uniform and consistent. Holes were cut to accept pop rivets to hold the pieces together and in place. I will be gluing the top and bottom components together. The joints for the top and bottom pieces are off set by half a length. 

I'm still working out how I will do the risers for the first 360 degree turn. That, IS, the most critical part of the construction. Once the base grade is set, it is just spacers for each turn. I'm planning to use wood blocks rather than threaded rods as spacers.

The design had the three curved pieces that are added onto the shelf. As designed, Atlas code 83 flextrack fits snugly into the channels. So well, that I'm not planning to affix the track, but rather let it float. If that isn't successful, I can caulk it into place retroactively. 

Below are two pictures of the helix laid out. I need to fabricate the transition pieces for the ends. A component of my design I did not include in the CNC files. This is partially because I wasn't exactly sure where the transitions would be needed and the required angles. In this case, I'm able to use full sections of the helix shelves without trimming. On the other two helices, I cannot be sure where they will end up. 


Interesting things happen along the way as I build the railroad. After prepping the helix pieces, I went to fire up the vacuum to collect all the debris. But, the switch was frozen. Bummer. 

It is a Rigid vacuum that is at least 15 years old. I thought I'd pull out the switch and replace it with a toggle switch I have on hand. Then, I thought I'd check about Rigid's lifetime warranty and if the vacuum covered by said warranty? A quick search online and it is! So I took the required photos and submitted the claim. They promptly sent me a new switch and I was able to quickly install it. The installation didn't suck, but the vacuum does! A positive for Rigid!

Although I had all the helix pieces CNC router cut, I found it necessary to lightly hit all the edges with a file to remove any flash (or whatever you want to call it). I created quite a bit of debris. I'll be doing all of the other pieces outside of the layout room in order to keep the dust down.

More equipment failures:

Thus far, I've burned out one soldering iron and had a tip fail on another. I've been using the Weller soldering stations for years now and the first iron gave up the ghost a couple of months ago. Of course they don't make a direct replacement any longer. I ordered a wattage equivalent soldering iron online and it works well. But the insulation isn't great, so it gets hot in your hand. I have been using it for the bus wiring. 

My favorite tip on the other soldering iron finally died. This is the tip I've soldered all of the feeders with. I tried to replace the tip, but it was permanently stuck in the iron. I tried everything, but couldn't free it up. Time for another iron. This time, I bought one with LEDs installed that light up the work area. It went from a  a good idea to a great idea when I started soldering the bus wires with it. The work area was lit up just enough for soldering and no shadows. A worthy investment! The other soldering iron was converted to a pointed tip for feeders and loco wiring.

I did run out of bus wire for staging. I started with two 1000' rolls. One yellow, one purple. After pulling bus lines for 26 tracks, I exhausted my supply. Apparently a significant calculation error on my part. So, off to my favorite online supplier of 14g stranded wire, where I ordered two more 1000' rolls. By my calculations, this should be enough for the remaining lower staging tracks and the upper staging as well. I 'should' have enough.

The rebar I was using for the shaft on the wire apparatus failed. Apparently supporting the two spinning 1000' rolls of wire took a toll on the apparatus. I replaced the rebar with chromoly and tightened the armature up with additional washers and welding. After the repairs were complete, I was back in business pulling twisted wire. 

With the steel frame welded into place above staging, I was able to install the control board that been constructed by Jason. This will control both the Harbor and Valley staging yards as well as the main and upper levels of the peninsula. 

My last blog update covers all of the components used and their functions.

Below is a view from inside the wall end of the peninsula with the board mounted looking out onto the staging yards. The helix from the main to the upper level is centered over this opening. I will easily be able to stand up inside the helix.

The board for East Staging was mounted as well underneath the Egress Peninsula. I'm intentionally locating the boards in easy to access spaces around the room. All are located near an outlet which is controlled by a wall switch to power everything on/off. 

While the Harbor/Valley board is bolted to the legs inside the peninsula, this board is mounted to a wall cleat. This was made by ripping a piece of plywood with a 45 degree angle. One piece was mounted to the wall and the other was mounted to the board. Then the board was placed onto the wall cleat. This provides a very secure mounting for the board, yet makes it easy to remove if needed. Hopefully it won't be needed!

Lastly, the aluminum bar for the 101 Freeway bridge in Ventura was painted and mounted. And is now ready for track. 



That wraps up this update. As much of the time in January was spent wiring staging yards and making control boards, there isn't a lot of material to cover and show. The February update will have the benchwork and track gangs back at work.

Happy New Year to all. 

3 comments:

  1. Rick, if the track in the helix needs to be glued down try white glue over the top of the ties. It will snuggle down to the road bed and when it dries it will glue the ties to the helix material. If it needs to be moved, a spray bottle with water “Should” loosen it. I’m ASSuming you will not be ballasting the helix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work! Love the Arduino relays for killing power in staging.

    ReplyDelete