Tuesday, March 4, 2025

February Update

February was a reasonably productive month, more track was connected and test trains were run! 

Before I get into the blog content, let me first apologize. In reviewing my photos, I see that I have a lot of stuff/crap/clutter sitting around everywhere. Clearly, I've moved beyond the cleaning up the area prior to taking a photo stage. It may be a factor of having so many things in progress. Regardless, there is so much clutter in the background that should not have been there. The blog next month will have much less clutter.

We did a lot of wiring this month. None of which is visible. This included track bus, sub-bus, feeders, push buttons, 110v electrical, etc. We also worked through the debugging of wiring, control boards, etc. 

At this point, there are three outstanding issues. 

First, is the NCE RB02 wireless base. It was new in the box, but wasn't working correctly upon installation. The debugging process had me bringing up the RB02 and wireless ProCab from the Exeter Branch. Good thing I have a working layout with working components that I can use to validate functionality. After installation of the Exeter RB02, both wireless throttles worked perfectly. This allowed me to isolate where the specific problem is, the new RB02.

My plan for the LA Division is 100% wireless throttles. Thus it is important for me to have a flawless wireless system, as I do on the Exeter Branch. However the scope of the LA Division is so much more. I have wireless repeater to connect to the wireless base to extend the range. Both will be mounted on the ceiling. 

The second problem to pop up is with the timer boards I'm using for staging. During testing, we found that anytime the PSX breaker trips, all of the boards reset and flash. Anytime there is a short, the boards cut the track power for any staging track that was previously powered. That is exclusive of the push button circuit for the timer boards. We tried a number of work arounds with no success. At this point, I will be replacing the timer boards with an Arduino module and relays to control the track power. This is a more elegant solution, but it adds another dependency on Arduino. Currently, I am using Arduino boards to control the turnout matrices for all lower level staging. On the upper level staging, Arduino not only controls the turnout matrix, but I'm using servos to throw the turnouts via the Arduino. All cool technology. In my career, I never became a C or C++ programmer, but now I'm learning to be. 

The third problem was a pain to find and we wasted a lot of working time trying to resolve it. Long story short: it is the Peco Insulfrog turnouts. It appears that wheelsets that have a wider wheel tread can cause the frogs to short. After spending the better part of a day trying to figure out the issue, I remembered reading some reference to this problem. Folks were using nail polish at the frog to extend the insulation by painting the top of the rails. I isolated the problem to P2k wheelsets. Their tread must be wider than it should be. In my testing, the fix was to apply tape over the spot where the frog rails come together. That resolved it. Although not a permanent solution, at least the problem was validated. Now I need to buy some nail polish!

No pictures for any of the above. In my March update, I'll share pictures of the solution for the timer boards. I should note, I will continue to use the timer boards for my three electro magnets.   

On to the construction update.

For a number of months, the incomplete Harbor/Valley staging helix delayed completion of the GEMCO peninsula. This is the connection of the splines to the Harbor and Valley staging yards. Until the helix was raised and tested, I was not going to build benchwork over it. The other two helices don't have the same dependency of something on top of it. 

After significant thought on the best design to raise the helix (read procrastination), I finally calculated all of the elements and measurements required to fabricate all of the needed components for lifting the helix. I did this in Excel of course. I'm a big Excel fan. The lift between helix levels was simple. Getting the grade set for the base level is the most challenging part. I determined that a 1 degree angle on all of the base level components would meet my needs. 

I laminated two pieces of 3/4" plywood together and then cut the 1 degree angle on my table saw. As my helix is 7' in diameter, I opted to install base level risers at 12 points. My helix is constructed in components, each of which is 1/6 of circle or 60 degrees. I decided that 12 points will have a riser at each joint.

Before I connected to the splines, I tested for any clearance issues. Early stack cars are my tallest cars and their clearance is critical. All tested well and no issues occurred. 

With testing complete, it was time to make the connections to the Harbor and Valley splines.

Pictured right is the connection to the Harbor spline. The design challenge was the Masonite connection to the helix and the spline. I used scrap plywood to make the spline holder. This is the terminus of the spline. 

First off was to trim the spline flush. It wasn't important to have the spline flush when built. I sawed the end flush in preparation for connection to the helix.

Everything is fully adjustable at install time. Next was to glue a horizontal member to serve as an anchor point for the Masonite. With all of that in place, including the addition of the steel crossmember below, I was able to connect to the helix.

Pictured to the right, are both splines being connected to the helix. All was smooth and tested perfectly.






A few other pix:



The last picture has the helix wiring complete for testing with the command station. All previous testing was done with a PowerCab and alligator clips. Pictured right, the inside bus and the outside buses that connect to the track. All worked as expected. 

You can see the outside 'Valley' bus on the outside of the helix. The inside track has the track bus on the inside. Thus, each helix track is independent of the other.

Now that the helix was in place and working, I was able to determine the amount of steel required to complete the main and upper level construction. I went to my local metal yard and picked up another 200' of steel tube. This should be enough to complete the railroad. I wanted to make the final steel order once, just once.

With the new steel on hand, I will have enough to wrap up construction. But that will be in the next update.






It was time to start bringing up the power districts across the layout. Not everything was wired, but significant sections. As noted above, testing was required for the helix before covering it. And, testing bought to light an issue with the timer boards. That being said, I was able to run test trains. 

Below are shots of upper level testing, followed by a picture of the main level, spline and helix test train.





I did record a number of videos. If you're interested in seeing the videos, they can be found on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@rickwatson7018  There is a combination of videos and shorts. The word 'testing; is in the title of each video/short.

That's it for this update, now time to get back to welding!

2 comments:

  1. Nice progress! IYou are wise to use the Arduino for staging control. While it's a little bit of C programming, the ladder switching and power/polarity control are now doing what YOU tell it to. A little forethought in harnessing and connectorization makes it easy to maintain a spare for quick substitution and troubleshooting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rick, do not apologize for the "clutter." That is a very real part of layout construction. Yes, you want to be sure your photos illustrate what you are describing, but as long as the clutter does not get in the way or distract (too much) leave it and move on. This is particularly true in intense construction periods. Been there.

    Second, thanks for the side comments on the Peco insulfrogs. You may well have identified my issue with halting behavior over my double slip switches. Wide wheel treads as an issue gives me a place to start looking.

    Bill D

    ReplyDelete