Thursday, July 30, 2015

Some History

It's time to start building my dream railroad...well at least something close.

I've been a model railroader most of my life. It started with my first Lionel train set in the 60s and matured over the years. Model railroading took a hiatus in my 20s-30s only to be rekindled in my 40s. It never went away during that time, only put on the back burner.

I was introduce to operations in 2001 and the bug bit me hard. I've operated on various railroads around the country. I've learned so much during that time. Especially was techniques I liked, and those I didn't.

In 2009, I built my first operational layout, the SP Exeter Branch. I based the concept on SPINS diagrams from the San Joaquin Valley and created an railroad that keeps 5 operators very busy during a session. The focus was to make a very intensive switching railroad. I've accomplished that.

To date, I've hosted 129 sessions with not just my local crew, but with guest operators from all over. The railroad has been a great success and I run about 6 sessions per quarter with a crew pool of 20+ operators.

While I've enjoyed the Exeter Branch, I had to make compromises. All model railroads do so. I wanted to have more. More mainline running, longer trains, and use more than 4 axle equipment. Thus I embarked on the SP Los Angeles Division.

In 2014, I had a purpose built room constructed for the new railroad. I've spend a lot of time researching and designing the new railroad. And now I'm about to embark on construction.

I plan to blog about the railroad. From design to construction, to operating.

I hope you will find it interesting.

I welcome your comments.

Let the journey begin!

Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment