Prior to building the new space for the railroad, I spent quite a bit of time doing research. I acquired a number of SPINS books as well as finding Sanborn maps, Thomas Bros maps, spending time on Google Earth, site visits, books, Google searches, etc. There is a lot out there.
Next, was to design the footprint of the railroad. Many forms were kicked around. I had a list of Givens and Druthers that influenced the design (I'll share that later). With each version of the benchwork footprint, I would locate key places: Taylor Yard, Van Nuys, the Alameda Corridor, etc. Again, the Givens and Druthers were important. Also, I designed the Exeter Branch in a similar manner and it work very well ...in my opinion.
So, below is what I have put together. I've received feedback on the design from a number of friends and am always open to more.



Rick, looks like an awesome plan. Three levels, wow! What will be the height differential between levels?
ReplyDeleteJim, I'm not 100% yet,, have another month to figure it out. For now, I'm looking at the main level at 42", the upper at 58", and the lower at 30". Again, subject to change.
Delete