I did have a change in plans. I originally had planned to start in one corner, but due to the fact that a 20' piece of steel tubing is usually 1-2" over length, i ended up starting in a different corner because my benchwork section was a little too long for the opening. It's not a big deal, I had just planned to have a connected corner. That will not come later.
My method for attaching to the walls is to drill thru the steel and use 3" lag bolts to attach to the wall. Each lag bolt is going into a stud. For efficiency purposes, I have two cordless drills with a pilot bit and 1/4" bit. I use a cordless impact wrench to install the lag bolts. when I bought the Ryobi cordless tool set, I figured there would be little opportunity to use the impact wrench. It's now providing to be a very useful tool!
You can see my method for raising the benchwork section. I raise is using extra legs. I slowly raise the benchwork up by lengthening the legs and reclamping as I go. In the picture you can see the first section going in. To the left in the corner, that's where I had originally planned to start. This section of benchwork was the most tenuous to install as it is over the staging track. Fortunately, I didn't have any issues. 
In this view you can see the first main level benchwork section installed. The legs are temporarily attached. I'll be hauling the welder upstairs to permanently attach them.
.

The second section is being installed in this view.

The last two views show both sections installed. Note: that's a total of 40' of benchwork.

Up next will be to build more legs. Also, I'm nearly out of steel tubing. I'll be placing an order for another 500' soon and progress will resume. Interestingly, a 20' x 30" section of benchwork consumes about 80' of material. I haven't done the math regarding cost, but i'm happy with the results.
I hope you're enjoying the posts. I'm expecting to post monthly now that I'm making progress again. .


No comments:
Post a Comment