Monday, September 26, 2016

Time for risers

Another project that happened over the summer is the construction of risers. 

I decided to continue the use of drywall on the main level. However after some conversations with fellow model railroaders, I determined it would be in my best interest to provide more vertical support on the main level. Thus I've decided to add risers every 12". That's more work, but should make it more bullet proof. 

The main level benchwork is going to be 30" deep. I determined that the best thing to do would be to make the horizontal piece of the riser 30" long. This will provide a good surface for mounting fascia. I'm using 3/4" plywood to make the risers. The horizontal pieces are 2" wide. I then made the vertical pieces 3". 

I bought 2 sheets of plywood at my local Home Depot. About $25 a sheet. I then started ripping. I worked on optimizing/maximizing my output. I ended up with 142 horizontal pieces and the rest was used to make verticals. 

That should be enough for a while. It has to be since I ended up burning out the motor on my DeWalt portable table saw. I called the local DeWalt service center. They said to bring it in an they would analyze what the problem is. There are two parts of the motor that can fail. One they have the replacement available, the other they don't make any longer. I'm pretty sure the one that failed will be the 'no longer available' part. The guy at DeWalt said that they would give me credit toward a new saw. ...I'm sure they will. If I end up needing a new saw, it won't be a DeWalt again. Rigid, Bosch, or Makita. I've had the saw for over 15 years. It's in excellent shape except for the motor. I read a recommendation a forum to find an electric motor repair shop as they will be more economical. I'll likely give that a whirl. 

I made a gluing jig which spaces the verticals a 6", 15" and 24". Glue is applied and then clamped until dry. I originally tried using brad nails, but found the clams provide a better joint. I'm able to glue 10 at a time, as I only have 30 clamps. So, my progress is gated by my clamp supply. 

At this point, I've built over 60 risers. That will give me a good start. 




No comments:

Post a Comment