Monday, December 21, 2020

December Update - End of 2020

As 2020 draws to a close, I would like to post another update.

Progress on the LA Division is slowly picking up. I finished adding the small peninsulas. These stick out 3-4 feet. They add more switching as designed and fill a dead space. 

Here is space with blue tape outlining the footprint and the welding blanket protecting the floor.

Up next is the installation of the peninsula closest to the window. This was build extra strong as this is an egress point in the event of a fire. The roof is just outside of the window. The peninsula and the benchwork under the window will have solid plywood over the entire area to provide strength in the event of an evacuation. 


Following the completion of the window peninsula, I added the small peninsula to the right. 

 

Here is a look from the window side. Below is the opposite view.

The view below is the completed view with the blue tape pulled up. 


Up next is the installation of risers. First I have to fabricate them. I ripped a mix of plywood and osb that I had on hand. I have all the riser legs cut and its time to start gluing. I hope that will be completed in a day or two. 

Once all is installed, I will be able to begin laying track on the main level. That is exciting!

On December 15th, I celebrated 11 years of operating and hosted session 250. Below are a couple of pictures from the session. 


During our normal mid session break, we celebrated with homemade cupcakes from my wife. It was national cupcake day. And, a celebratory glass of Jack Daniels. Thanks Bruce for bringing it!


And a look back in time to the original shakedown session on the Exeter Branch.


Lastly, I decided to paint some roads onto the Exeter Branch. Too often do sessions end with roads blocked by spotted cars. I decided to experiment with painting some roads. At Walmart I found Apple Barrel paint called 'Pavement Black'. I thought I'd give is a whirl and like the color once applied. 





Apparently I'm not a civil engineer as the curve in the road below is a bit sharp. I'll have to adjust that. 



I think the addition of the roads gives a decent look. Certainly better than the pencil lines drawn on the benchwork. 


Up next will be to add more roads and break out the brown paint to cover the gray patches. Originally the top of the benchwork was painted gray and subsequently painted brown. 

Still more to do. I don't know if I'll ever get to scenery. I do need to make more buildings and I would like to eventually build some building silhouettes to be installed on aisle side on some of the spurs. 

I'd like wish everyone Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Holidays, and of course Happy New Year!




 






4 comments:

  1. Rick, that's a GREAT idea with the streets! I model a city, so I need LOTS of rails in Belgian Block (or at least pavement), and I dread doing that! But this is a great alternative until I bite that bullet. How did you measure your road widths? Did you use the trusted and patented "Mk 1 Eyeball System", or an an actual measuring device (with or without applying real-world civil engineering standards). Thanks in advance!

    Ralph Heiss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ralph. Yes, I think it's a great stand in for the time being. And it is much easier to change versus a more permanent solution. I'm using my trusty General metal HO scale ruler. It is a bit more accurate than the Mk 1 :) The main roads are 22' wide, which is a tad narrow, but I'm modeling the early 1960s. Local access roads a narrower. It's not perfect, but certainly represents the roads as I had hoped.

      Rick

      Delete
    2. My railroad is set in 1956 in NE Pennsylvania. Looking at aerial surveys, very abrupt road diversions were common. Even to this day, I drive through the area and curves are now smooth, but can be an immediate 45 degree change. The quick work to paint roads adds some much flavor -- very much worth it. Thanks for the pictures and blog post.

      Delete