Progress in June hasn't been a much as previous months. Lots of distractions...
There was progress on the SP LA Division. Benchwork has been added and more sub-roadbed installed. Of course one of the progress limiters has been building risers. I know I've mentioned it before and this continues to be a slow progress area. Many of the risers I have built in the past have warped and in many cases aren't usable. For the most part, I've switched from 3/4" plywood to 1/2" construction for the horizontal surface as it is much easier to correct a warp when installing. OSB works well too, but with lumber prices of late, I'm having to explore all options.
First off it an extension of the main peninsula over the staging yards.

While I was in the process of moving some cars out of the way so I could put roadbed down. I put the Triple 57 (drawbar connected piggyback cars). I put them on and gave a good shove. i was blown away how far they rolled on level track. So much so that I decided to capture a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4vpfmUHBYA
Granted, I did work to make the cars free rolling when I built them. However, I was blown away when I saw how far they rolled.
I received the new Rapido SW1200 in June too. They are nice models, but some of the grabs look a little thick. I'm not sure if it's a function of paint or wrong wire size. There were a number of threads on the Southern Pacific Prototype Modelers group on Facebook. Some great info shared which saved me some research time in configuring my locos. I opted to use JMRI to program two of them. I do have a Loc Programmer as well on my programming bench. I plan to program the third loco using the Loc Programmer. I'll be interested to see the results in comparison from a programming perspective.
Here is the initial testing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjbQem8clQ4
And below are a couple of videos from an op session on the Lost Dutchman. Some speed tuning is needed. ...it was a last minute decision to video as I'm trying to run the train, clear the main, and video it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehzhy2XcF2c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X2OmWzlU0Q
I also started acquiring parts to build a speed matching loop. Keith Robinson shared on Facebook that he was building one. The example he sited, which is from North Raleigh Model Railroad. Here is a link: http://www.trainweb.org/nrmrc/pubs/AppNote%20Locomotive%20Speed%20Matching.pdf
I determined that the best course of action would be for me to make this using Digitrax as that is what Keith and NRMRC used. I acquired a collection that allowed me to harvest the DCS51 controller and Loconet controller. On another group I picked up a Digitrax PXP88 for the sensoring. I realize that reduces my blocks to 8, but I'm okay with that. The system uses JMRI to do the matching. Thanks to Digitrax Dave for his expertise as well.
I'm waiting for insulated joiners for the Kato Unitrack that I'm using and then I'll begin assembly. I'll have more info in my July progress report.








No comments:
Post a Comment