Saturday, June 5, 2021

May Progress Report

Progress on the railroad has been great lately. Definitely a feeling of accomplishment as I watch my dream materialize. May had some slowing due to many non-railroad related issues, but progress does continue.

Progress toward Dolores Yard included the addition of some industries. I really like diamonds. Railroad diamonds that is. The Exeter Branch has a number of them. 



One phenomenon that has become more prevalent is that I now look as curves and wonder if they are too tight. I grab a radius gauge and realize that the curve is broader than I thought. This was especially true on the turnouts going toward the diamond. Turns out the radius is 26" or better. I've concluded that this is a result of my ruling radius on main being 39". So 24" looks really tight.  





In the photo to the left you can see the diamond in the background and the turnout entering Dolores Yard in the foreground. 






Below are photos of the construction of Dolores Yard. 







I ran out of benchwork, so construction of Dolores stopped. More risers to build. However, I was able to add another 8' of sub-roadbed to the other end of the construction. 


On of the last things to happen in May was to run the test train on all of the track. It's amazing how well the rail joiners carried the power. Well over 45' with just alligator clips and an old MRC ThrottlePack.

Excuse the quality of the camera work. I didn't consider it when I took the video on my phone. 



Up next are feeders and wiring. More benchwork and track installation too in June. 


.

5 comments:

  1. Slowly you creep, inch by inch, step by step. One day, you'll have it done and these steps will be great to look back on. Soldier on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rick - I thought I was the only one who likes crossing diamonds so much! I actually had a "problem", I had soo many that it began to become gratuitous in nature, so I parred down from 16 to 13! I'm really enjoying watching your build!

    Ralph Heiss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ralph. I have a lot on my SP Exeter Branch. I won't have the same density on the LA Division.

      Delete
  3. The industrial track looks great. Prototype curves on industrial tack are insanely tight, yours look great.

    ReplyDelete