I realized in September, that I'd completely missed the July and August updates. Suffice it to say that progress stalled in July and August due to life getting in the way.
Along with relocating my Mom to AZ, I did numerous trips back and forth to Southern California to transport 'stuff' as well as assist in packing and preparation for the move. At the end of July, she moved to AZ. The good news is that she's only 2 miles away. The bad news is that I spent a lot of time helping her unpack, which distracted from my layout time. There have been other household issues which compounded the delays in progress.
One benefit from the move was that I was able to acquire an oven for baking paint onto brass locos and rolling stock. I had wanted one for a long time, but never got around to picking one up. Since my Mom remodeled her house before she moved in, I was able to get her old oven.
It's a bit of overkill, but hey, not all painters have a Dacor oven for curing paint. I needed to make a cart for it to wheel around the garage. I dug into my steel scrap pile and welded up a frame. A quick attachment of 4 swiveling wheels and it was ready to roll.
I guess if I'm desperate, I can cook a roast on the bottom and a loco on the top!
In September, I did present a clinic for the Operations SIG about my Car Card and Waybill system. You can find a recording of the presentation here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRcZeJ5L4fA
On to the layout construction...
Benchwork and track have continued, albeit a bit slower than I would prefer. In my last update, I showed the progress moving compass north toward Taylor Yard. I've since put down more sub-roadbed, roadbed, and track.
One of the challenges is needing to lay the track sequentially. This provides a good frame of reference to my planned design. Of course, there are always changes/adjustments to the track plan as it moves from paper (on the computer) to physical on the benchwork.
To the left you can see the main running along the straightedge. The track to the left are the working tracks for Violet Alley or the 'Rat Hole' which is up by the wall.
More progress on the benchwork the track in the picture on the right. To the left of the main track is the track to serve the industries on the mini-peninsula and the egress peninsula.
On of the most difficult installations of track is the section of the main track is in the center of this picture on the right.
The roadbed comes across the benchwork at an angle and it has a slight curve to it. Getting the section between the turnout in the foreground and the turnout down at the far end 'straight' was a major challenge. We didn't have good reference lines and some optical illusions were having an affect on the visual perception of straight. The straight edges were of some help. I think we worked 20-30 minutes on getting that section of track to be and 'look' straight and consistent. Normally, that process only takes a minute or two. I am pleased with the result.
As a note, Taylor yard is on the opposite side of the peninsula above (right). Benchwork is in progress. However, I've done some redesigning of the engine terminal to include the turntable that was still active in my era. Also, I'm rethinking my yard design to make it a bit more usable. Stay tuned...
The SP track in this area of Los Angeles went all over the place as a result of Southern Pacific absorbing the Pacific Electric.
In the picture below right, you can see the Wye much better. Track will be on either side of the Wye. In my version, about 10 car spots to the left and 12 car spots to the right. On the prototype, it was an alley about 15' wide with 80 car spots in on the right side of the Wye and 48 on the left side. Buildings were on both sides of this 'alley'.
In order to run the job, operators will need to pull the entire track on either side, extract the pickups, manage the holds to be re-spotted and insert the set outs into the string of cars. Then shove it back into the alley. This should be an interesting job. The Wye will use Tortoises to operate the turnouts.
To the left is the mini-peninsula and the egress peninsula in the background. Some interesting switching opportunities here as well.
In order to lay the peninsula track, I needed to have the siding tracks and main in place for reference. I'll install a fillet in the for corner above the diamond to provide a bit more benchwork for the spur and buildings.
The two random pieces of flex track are loosely placed on the right are where the LATC - Los Angeles Transportation Center will be. At lest my version of it.
The LATC was located where the SP LA Shops were. I don't have the real estate to represent more than what I squeezed into this space.
Once I progress further on the main track at the bottom of the picture, I can install the LATC tracks. Again, I need the main track to be in place for the appropriate reference points to install track.
On the other side of the layout, progress on Dolores yard continues. To the right, the sub-roadbed is installed. As stated previously, I back all curved sub-roadbed with 1/2" plywood for strength of the curved edge and it provides an attachment point for fascia.
The other picture is the benchwork and risers proceeding further compass west. This will be another switching area in and around Watson Center. A real location and namesake. Unfortunately, I don't model far enough compass north to have Watsonville. Oh well...Back to Dolores. I had completed the ladder on the compass east end. In order to complete the west end, I needed the above benchwork installed. Next was to get the roadbed installed for both the main and the siding.
In the picture to the left, you can see where the main track roadbed stopped. This is past the ladder.
While not as prototypical as it could be, given that I'm in a room with walls, I have to make some adaptions. As the wall corner is approximately 45 degrees, it was necessary to have a curve in the track. By extending the curve to the wall and then coming back into the middle of the benchwork, I feel this provides a bit more character. It adds to the feeling of separation as well.
In the picture below right is the opposite view of the same curve. You can also see the main and siding coming together.
I spent quite a bit of time working out the orientation of the turnouts. I wanted to keep to some specific elements such as the location of the siding turnout and the yard track the merges into the siding. It looks to be working out well.
To the left, is the runaround track at the top of the ladder. This will likely work as engine storage as well for a 3 unit cut. I made sure this would accommodate three SD45T-2s.
Once the layout is operational, some of that may be changed based on how things materialize. My goal is to be able to avoid removal and re-installation of track and roadbed if at all possible.
As has been posted before, I'm using drywall mud to help ease some of the gradient changes between the main, sidings, and the sub-roadbed level. I use the homabed transition pieces where possible. I find it effective to use the drywall mud to smooth out the transition. In some cases as the one on the right, I simply use the mud only.
Once I'm satisfied with the transition, it will be painted along with the roadbed and track installation can be completed.
More benchwork has begun to pop up as well. The picture to the right is connecting to the Taylor peninsula. Flowing left from the plywood top is Taylor Yard curving to the left and Violet Alley along the wall.
The picture below is the benchwork to the right of the previous picture. In the right corner, you will notice a notch in the pony wall. This will connect the bridge that joins the layout together in a version of a circle. When you enter the layout room, it is via the stairs (enclosed by the pony wall), and up into the layout. This eliminates duck-unders, swing bridges, etc. from my design. The benchwork is on temporary legs in these photos, but has been attached to the walls. The legs will be permanently welded in place soon. Once complete, I will install the section of benchwork connecting the two sections.
As a note, under the right most section of benchwork will be a work desk.
I was able to begin feeder installation as well. I am very happy with the results and solderability of the Peco track. In other words: good joints and no melted ties.
Most of the feeder holes are drilled once a section of trackwork is complete and tested.
I'm still determining the structure of the power districts and PSX breaker zones, so I'm only installing feeders at this time.
That's about it for the updates this time around. The construction is progressing again. I doubt I'll be operational for Desert Ops 2022, but I will certainly offer some tours.
Of course the SP Exeter Branch will be hosting sessions for Desert Ops and continues to host local sessions twice a month. We completed session 270 last night. Subtle improvements continue with some new 3D printed buildings, motive power and rolling stock changes, along with some roads being added.
Oh, and an update on the speed matching loop I mentioned in my last blog update... I've acquired all the parts, now I need to construct it. I'm guessing that will happen during my time off between Christmas and New Year's.
I hope you've found this update interesting.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
















I like the curve coming into the yard. It does bring some nice interest into the operations.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteThank you for the UPDATES. I really enjoyed your pictures and written progress.
ReplyDeleteCrew 270, I was there, but was I?
ReplyDeleteLooks great. Lots of track down. Violet Alley sounds like it’ll be an interesting job. How will they uncouple back there?
ReplyDeleteThanks Greg. Yes, I think Violet Alley will be a great job. Although I'm not a fan of them, I am likely going to have to install magnets. I'd like to avoid magnets wherever possible. It's really going to depend on how the job runs. The Kadees can be delayed if it's just doing a final shove of the cut.
Delete