As seems to frequently be the case, life and other commitments have impacted progress on the railroad. However, I'm back to 'working on the railroad' and have made some good progress.
Progress in December included the completion of Dolores Yard.
Feeders, feeders, and feeders. I've been soldering them to the track. Nothing interesting to show there. Dropping feeders and wiring have the least visible results of anything. My philosophy is that every piece of track gets feeders. I prefer not to depend on rail joiner to carry current. I use them for alignment.
I'm moving forward with the benchwork as well.
First was to add the next section of benchwork continuing from Alameda moving toward Taylor Yard. Here is the section installed with the cross members still to be spaced out and welded.
And to the left are the pieces connecting the left and right benchwork sections together. Once connected, the benchwork will be solid. I've found that as construction continues, the peninsulas become more and more stable.
Next was the benchwork section for the Glendale area. In the picture to the right, I'm ready to weld the section in place. And the finished product.
I also started the process of getting the second peninsula installed. Since I'm attaching to the corner of the wall, I made a triangular piece of benchwork to join the long section of benchwork to and the join to the wall as well. There will be a helix in the corner going from the main level to the upper level. Below this main level will also be staging yards representing the Valley and harbor areas.
In addition to doing work on the layout, I finally began working on SD7Rs and SD9Es. I'm using Proto 2000 models and finally accumulated all the parts required to super-detail them. First up is stripping the paint. This is a multi-step process using 90% IPA.
Since I've started this project, I'm sure that will get Athearn to release their new models. Isn't that always how this works?
I must vent as well. I use the Blogger tool and the formatting can be very difficult. I would prefer to reduce more white space from my posts, but the tool has limitations. I guess that's a result of using a free tool.
I'll be trying to get back to monthly progress updates. I hope you've enjoyed the update.




Hey Rick,
ReplyDeleteGlad to see that progress is accelerating. White space is a good thing when trying to read substantial update reports such as yours. Too many folks cram dissimilar information into one paragraph which makes comprehension a bit more challenging.
Regarding wire drops from each piece of track ... absolutely! Using rail joiners is a no-no. I have a RR friend who had a large layout in which all of the drops were from rail joiners. Great RR, but with a well known reputation for unreliable operation. Andy Sperandeo used his column to lobby against using rail joiners for electrical wiring. I have even dropped a wire from a 2" piece of track. At the end of an op. weekend op session, the most important words that a visitor could tell me was that my RR ran really well.
Good that you have a local that can scratch build a curved cross-over for you. If you need some more help and he is not available, email me. Just finished my final layout, a small switching operation: 12 scratch built turn-outs and all hand laid track.
Looking forward to your next update.
Lou Adler
HI Rick
ReplyDeleteI really enjoy your blog and seeing the progress.
Don
Rick,
ReplyDeleteGreat progress! Looks like it will be a lot of fun to operate!
James