Thursday, March 31, 2022

Progress Update - March 2022

March started out as back to benchwork time and the construction of the next peninsula. As I noted in my last update, one challenge is it how to attach the diagonal peninsula to the wall corner. 

First I built a triangle to insert into the corner as an attachment point for the 20' section of benchwork. The triangle was built perfectly square. However, my walls were not. When I test fit it, I found that I would need to shim each side in order to attach to the walls. The call corner is not 90 degrees. Probably 92 or 93 degrees. 


I made the decision to cut the triangle to allow some flex for better wall attachment and eliminate shimming. In the picture, you can see where the cuts were made. The triangle was originally constructed to be very solid and strong. Cutting it reduced that strength. Strength will come back when I weld it to the 20' section and weld the cuts back together. 

Two cuts were required due to the support coming out from the corner. The tape pieces on the wall represent the height where this will be attached to the wall. You can barely see the green line of the rotary laser beam. The rotary laser level was a great purchase for creating a level line around the room. 

Once the triangle was mounted it was time to attach the 20' section of benchwork. As you can see, it was clamped into position for alignment. You can see the blue tape pieces on the legs which it where the laser beam was, making alignment a bit faster. The drywall bench at the end indicates that I need to make more legs. 

It should be noted that having a helper is great. I did the main peninsula solo and another set of hands make placing the section in place much easier! 

It has always bothered me when looking at other modeler's layout photos and seeing all sorts of 'stuff' and clutter around the area. Well as they say about those who live in glass houses... 

Apparently I have some clean up to do as I'm feeling more like Fred Sanford each time I look at the pictures.

Here is another view of the peninsula to the left. 





To the right is the attachment of the peninsula to the corner triangle. 

I use welding blankets to protect the floor and walls. I've been very happy with them and the protection they offer. That's not say there aren't a few burn marks left in the wake of my work.


Getting ready to attach the legs. Each leg is  clamped, straightened with the level, and then welded into place.




Progress on the main peninsula continued with the addition of more cross members. 

I used the welding blankets to protect the staging level below as I welded the cross members in place. I found it even more productive to use large pieces of card board to cover the track before covering with the blanket. The cardboard eliminated the risk of snagging the track while placing and removing the welding blankets. I wish I had thought of this earlier in the construction process. 

Below is another view of the peninsula cross members. 

I still have a few more cross members to add, Risers will start once the holes are drilled to attach them. 



Benchwork also continued railroad west toward Burbank Junction with the Glendale benchwork. 


When I first cut the plywood, I matched the radius to the plans (on my computer) versus the tape on the floor. I quickly realized that what was in the plan didn't flow as well, producing too tight of a radius. 


I used the scrap remaining from the original cut to soften the curve by extending the plywood. Along with a number of splice plates. 






Once the drywall was installed, it all cleaned up nicely and has a smoother curve. 




As I noted in a previous post, I back all my curved sections of sub-roadbed with plywood. This gives some additional strength when folks lean on the benchwork. It also provides a good surface for attaching fascia. 

Progress has stopped at Glendale as I cannot continue to add drywall moving toward Taylor Yard (left). This is because I decided to add the turntable to the Taylor shops area. 

Originally, I opted to exclude the turntable, but time and a free new turntable changed my mind.

I have included the design changes in the plan and now need to add the benchwork. To the right is the benchwork frame. Now to make some legs and attaching to the existing benchwork. 

The benchwork will be in place in the next blog update. 




More feeders were installed up to the the egress peninsula. No pictures are needed for that endeavor. Feeders are time consuming work with little visible impact. Laying out the feeders for the egress peninsula kicked off a conversation about installing the auto-reverser. I'll have an update on that in then next blog update as well. 


In other news...

While not a perfect model, I started detailing an Athearn RTR GP35. I did find pictures of the 6569 and am working to make the model closer to the prototype. The prototype did have the Roman lettering on the nose.

As this is the old RPP shell, some of the details are a bit clunky. However, I'm working around that to accurize the model a bit closer to the prototype. In the photo, you can see the antenna and cable added to the roof. On the prototype, it does come down the front of the cab as modeled. 

I've removed the RPP castings for the MU housing on the pilot and will be adding a better representation. Cut bars and grab bars are ready to be attached to the pilot as well. 




Lift rings and lift tabs will be added. The lift tabs have an interesting contour on the prototype which I'm still trying to determine the best material and technique to represent them. More to come. 














For the Exeter Branch, I have a number of Athearn 40' reefers that need replacement hatch latches. Some didn't exist on the cars when I received them. Others have just vanished. It seems to be pretty difficult to find replacement parts. Even from Athearn. 

I talked with my buddy/helper Jason, who is a 3D printing whiz. He created replacement latches. To the right are the latches applied to a reefer. Latches are available for purchase, priced at $3.00 per dozen plus shipping. 









Another shameless plug is for train storage/transport boxes. Great for club members who transport equipment to and from their clubs. I've been using them in my modular club for years. We had a run of them made and still have a few left.


Each box has 4 trays (with protective foam) that fit into an outer container and lid. Each tray will hold 16 40' cars (12 50' cars). That equates to 64 40' cars per box. We still have some available. Pricing is $50.00 per box. Local is best as shipping costs aren't reasonable. 

You can contact me for reefer latches or train boxes at spladivision@gmail.com

 

That's if for this time around. My next update will have more progress on benchwork and laying track. 

As always, I appreciate your comments and feedback.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to see you're hanging in there Rick. This is quite an endeavor you've undertaken. At 68 I'm glad mine is virtually done other than a few buildings to add and weather. Keep plugging away my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could weld :). You’re benchwork is really impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good Rick, I can't wait to see the turntable!

    ReplyDelete