Saturday, July 29, 2023

July Update - Upper level track laying has started

Progress in July started off slowly with non-railroad related activities taking precedence. And of course, 4th of July! But once started, progress was good! This month kicked off laying track on the upper level and preparation for construction of the remaining peninsula (3 levels). 

In the last update, I noted that the upper level benchwork was ready for track. The upper level is not complete around the room, but the Oxnard area was ready for track. 



The Montalvo bridge over the Santa Clara river was the starting reference point. Having the bridge as a starting point ensured that track alignment on each side of the bridge would work. 

First up was the roadbed: 0.24" for the main, 0.125" for the siding, and the remaining track on the drywall. The process for laying the roadbed is to paint and seal the drywall. Drawing the track plan on the benchwork. Installing the Homabed (0.24 and 0.125). The roadbed installation began last month and was expanded this month 

In the picture to the right, you can see the Homabed installed. The visible pencil lines are for track alignment. 

On a side note: I'm continue to have excellent results using DAP Alex Plus clear latex caulk for the installation of both roadbed and track. I highly recommended it if you plan to use caulk or glue to affix your track.

Once the main track and siding roadbed were installed, I had to line up the turnouts for the transition strips which bring the track from the main track grade to the 'zero' grade of the benchwork surface. 

When transitioning from the main track to the siding, I use a half length of the transition strip. When going from height of the main grade to the benchwork surface, I use a full piece of the transition strip. 

Laying out the turnouts is the critical component to determining where the transition strips will be placed. Once the transition strips are installed, I backfill and gaps in the roadbed with drywall mud. This is typically where the turnouts will be placed. 

The track laying in Oxnard began. In the photo to the right, the far point (top of the picture) is the approach to the Montalvo bridge. The turnout is about 20" from the bridge. I find it important to have enough relief that I can install a reasonable length of straight flextrack for the bridge approach and then transition to bridge track prior to crossing the bridge. 

I'll be using 2 sections of Micro Engineering bridge track to go across the bridge. The 'bridge track' has tighter tie spacing and wider ties. The prototype is an open deck. On the SP, there is a mix of open deck and ballasted deck bridges. 



To the right is the super-elevated curve going through the Oxnard yard. The depot is to the right of the main. It was critical to install the main track first as it becomes a reference point for the siding and yard tracks. On the prototype, the yard has a curve in it similar to how I have designed it. 

When searching for 1/4" black masking tape that I use for super-elevation, my only option was to buy a case. So I effectively have a life time supply. I'll probably use 10% of what I have on hand. Suffice it to say, I'll be selling rolls of 'super-elevation' tape in the to too distant future.


More progress is in the next few pictures. It really speeds up my progress working with Jason. He typically prepares the track and turnouts prior to them being installed. That includes dressing the ends on each rail and installing rail joiners. Both of us end up applying caulk prior to laying the track. The other benefit is the second set of eyes checking the track. I've developed some great techniques for smoothing the curvature of the track. An extra set of hands is also very helpful in ensuring that the track is straight. A lot of effort is invested in making sure straight track is dead straight. Probably more effort than the prototype!
To the right is the view from the opposite end of the yard. There are industry and depot tracks to be installed between the main track and the wall. 













The depot and house tracks are furthest away against the wall. Closer up is the ramp track. The ramp was likely used for equipment unloading versus TOFC. 









Below are a couple of the pictures of the ramp I took several years ago. I have a model of it that I built a while ago. I'll add that on the end of the track.  


Building out the Oxnard yard came to a halt as I ran out of benchwork. I need to get the benchwork completed on the east wall (above) in order to finish laying the track. The dependency is that I need to be able to get the appropriate main track curve into the corner and extend it into the yard. 

As indicated by the red arrow in the picture to the right, there is a subtle curve in the track that will enable connection to the yard ladder. The main track is in purple. The green track through the yard is the siding. The green track leaving the yard on the curve outside of the main track is for the Ventura County Railway. 

In order to continue the upper level benchwork on the east wall, I need to complete the main level first. This, of course, had a dependency on my getting the next peninsula laid out. I had eliminated the helix originally designed to transition from the main level to the staging level where 'Harbor Staging' and 'Valley Staging' will be located. By eliminating the helix, it allowed me to correct the track orientation at Burbank Junction. And, it got me past issues of having to enter the helix using too much of a grade. In the image to the right, I have the track connecting to Harbor Staging along the east wall and noted 'Down'. The Valley Staging connection was now an issue as I had changed the track orientation at Burbank Junction.


My solution for each is to run spline around the length of the peninsula. This will extend the run, but more importantly, I'm able to keep my ruling grade at 1.4% or less. However, in order to build out the spline, I needed to add more benchwork on the east wall where trackwork and benchwork had stopped. This is the same east wall I need to complete the upper level so I can finish Oxnard. 

In order to fit the pieces of the puzzle together, I needed to add the benchwork extension so I could start to build out the spline. I needed to have the spline along the east wall before I can add the main level benchwork for the peninsula. This is because I will have to do some creative construction to attach the main level to the wall and not impede the spline. This is further complicated by the fact that the main level benchwork needs to support the single track helix connecting the main level to the upper level.

In March of last year, I added the first section for the Harbor/Valley staging peninsula. I halted construction on the peninsula as we had more railroad to build and completing the peninsula will make access to other work areas much less convenient. Having to walk around the peninsula doesn't seem significant, but given the size of the peninsula, it is. It was a good decision to stop building at that time. Here is the link to a the post describing the start of the peninsula construction: https://spladivision.blogspot.com/2022/03/ In the picture below, the peninsula is freestanding in the background. 

To get things moving, we broke out multiple lasers and started adding tape to the walls to estimate where the grade would be. In factoring in the grade, I needed to make sure it would clear the main level benchwork when passing under. 

First up was to determine the max height. Fortunately, I had some cars available to use for the measurement which were easily accessed. Conveniently, I was able to locate a section of track to perform the measurement. Granted there were many locations to perform this. :) I chose to use two different types of double stack cars for testing (Gunderson and ACF). 

The track on the spline will be laid directly onto the spline. No Homabed will be used. Planning with a margin for error, the absolute minimum height was set at 3 3/4". 


I also needed to add another section of benchwork along the wall which will serve to support the spline as well as continuing the main level benchwork. More risers and drywall will be added once the spline is complete. You can see the green tape marking the first pass grade line. The bottom of the tape is 1 5/8" above the grade line per the laser.

In the photo below is the first pass at laying out the spline. Risers are cobbled into place. The joints between 8' sections of spline overlap 6" or so and are double clamped. This is the spline being roughed in. 

When roughing in the spline anything goes. That includes what can be used to hold the spline in place. In the second photo, you'll notice the even the chairs aren't safe from being used to hold up the spline. 


The reason for extending the spline into non-benchwork territory is to check that everything will work out. Especially the inside corner were the chairs are. I'm glad that everything worked out as expected. The projection is that at a 1.4% grade, this spline will join the staging level just past the end of the peninsula (red arrow). Which is great!

Below are a few more views of the roughed in spline. I'm loving the smooth and gradual curves. 

Now, with the spline laid out and the grade set, it was time to start making it real. 

For the spline, I'm using 1" strips of 5mm Luan plywood. I'm very happy with the flexibility and the strength. The grade leaves the riser pictured right and has a slow descent from 0% to 1.4%. The grade then stays a 1.4% for the entire run. 

Did I mention how wonderful it is to have a digital level? IT IS! I have a 2' and a 4'. They are fantastic for setting the grade. The display shows the percentage being achieved and adds a 'level' of precision to the process of setting the grade.



Let me introduce you to that prehistoric creature, the one and only, Clamposaurus. This creature arises anytime a spline is glued together on a model railroad. 

I have a lot of spline to build and the Clamposaurus will make multiple appearances. Once complete, I'll have a boat load of clamps that I'll have to store somewhere.
Pictured to the right is the addition of layers to the spline. As each layer is added, it becomes stronger, both horizontally and vertically. When complete, the spline will have a total of 7 layers laminated together. My plan is to have acrylic fences on each side of the spline for safety. It should eliminate any equipment derailing and launching off the track and onto the floor. 
In this last view, you can see the spline in place and another 8' section of benchwork in the foreground. We were able to bust out the riser installations and add the drywall in short order. 

I'll be adding another component of benchwork between the two sections visible. This piece will include a contour to add a gradual curve to the benchwork as it transitions around the corner. 

Not everything in the construction process has gone perfectly. As I was laying the track in Oxnard, I stepped into a gap between the two benches I was standing. Down onto the floor I went! Unfortunately, I decided to take out a piece of benchwork in the process. 

Apparently, when I stepped off into oblivion, my right elbow went straight down and into the drywall. The resulting hole in the upper level shows that I split the risers when I fell. 
Fortunately, no damage happened to the main level. I had just installed a section of track for a spur. After getting myself squared away, I quickly removed the track and scraped away the caulk. All of this with growing pain in my right shoulder. That was the end of the work session for the day! 

Here are the culprits. They were much further apart than as pictured. You know when that inner voice says "be careful, remember to watch your step"? I listened to the voice, got busy laying track and completely forgot!



A couple of days later, I was back at it repairing my modification. I first cut out the drywall removing all of the compromised components. Fortunately, I missed all of the track and no damage occurred to any of the existing track. 




I made a template of the hole so I could cut a filler piece to patch it. The patch worked out very well and I was able to get the replacement piece of drywall placed successfully. 














I cut a plywood plate for the bottom and then screwed it in place. Obviously, I didn't want it to ever fail as exemplified by the number of screws used. 


The last thing to cover in this update is the new console I have for my PowerCab. I have been using a PowerCab to do all of my testing of trackwork, etc. The portability makes the PowerCab and important tool.

In order to keep all the components together, I built a simple stand/holder out of scrap plywood. This solution was very effective for testing track around the layout. I used scrap cup hooks to hold the power supply and a coated cup hook to hold the alligator clips for the track power. 

It all worked very well. But, my friend Eric Hall decided that I needed an upgrade. Eric has developed a number of cool items that he 3D prints. He decided to make me a new console for my PowerCab. And, he made it SP colors!

Thanks to Eric, I have a nice compact unit that I can easily move around the layout while testing track. He doesn't have them up on his website yet, so contact him if you're interested. Eric does have some great 3D printed products available: https://wildharellc.com/

I hope you've enjoyed this update. For the next update in August, I'm expecting to have laid track for the Harbor/Valley staging as well as more benchwork and additional track work. 



2 comments:

  1. Great progress Rick! Your layout is already a classic monument to the SP in my mind and its not even finished yet! And I love the SP Power Cab console!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Jim!

      Delete