Thursday, August 31, 2023

August Update

August has been a busy month. Work continues on the spline, more track was laid, and more benchwork added. As I noted in my last update, in order to build out the next peninsula, there are a number of dependencies. 

Dependency 1: I had to get the spine mostly constructed because I needed to insure that I would have enough clearance below the main level as the spline descends to staging. 

While spline construction continued, the biggest challenge I found is having enough clamps. While I do have plenty on hand (I bought 3 large packs of clamps), twice as many would facilitate faster progress. But, what would I do with them once I'm done building splines? Rather than have more clamps that I'll ever need beyond this project, I opted to muddle along with my current clamp supply. 

To the right is the full thickness of seven strips. The pieces are staggered so the joints are not aligned from one to another. 

The spline is constructed with seven layers of the 5mm Luan plywood. It takes some time to clamp and glue. When laminated together, the 1" strips become very strong. Installing them solo is quite a task. Even adding layers of thickness is a challenge to manage the 8' strips and not get glue everywhere. It is significantly easier with a helper!

With the initial thickness complete, It's a matter of layering. Eventually, I'll reach the level of staging where the spline will rejoin the benchwork. At that point, the spline will be complete. 

Dependency 2: In order to get the spline around the benchwork to join in with the staging level, I need to build out the peninsula and staging level. 

For at least 3 years, I have had a 20'x40" frame on the floor where the new peninsula will be. Countless visitors have stumbled on it. You can see it on the floor in the picture to the right. It was finally time to get it up off the floor and start peninsula construction. 

Up went the section, legs were installed, and the space became occupied. In other words, a longer walk around it. 

Next was to connect the left and right peninsula  sections. I fabricated a connector section to join the two sides. A temporary leg was added to support the structure. It was leveled and clamped into place in preparation for welding. 






It was easy to weld the right side. But the left side required a bit of creativity in order to perform the welding. 







My first issue was that my welder leads couldn't reach from the right side where the welder was plugged in, to where the welding needed to occur. So, I got creative in splitting the difference and plugged into the wall on the other side of the Taylor peninsula (left).

I placed two styrofoam panels over the staging tracks to protect them.





Then I had a problem with the length of the ground lead. Apparently, I watched one too many MacGyver episodes as a kid and created a solution he would be proud of. It worked very well and the welding was completed.

I'm going to have to deal with this a few more times as I attach cross members, and build the main and upper levels. They must be constructed in place. 



With both side connections strongly joined, the base of the peninsula was set. Watson's Law: The tool you need is on the opposite side of the peninsula. Let the additional walking begin!

With the peninsula in place, it was time to add cross members to support the staging level. 











Dependency 4: When I add the legs to the staging and main levels, I will need to add legs to support the upper level too. My plan is to have upper level legs down the centerline of the peninsula and spaced 3' apart. I will also have multiple other legs to support and strengthen the upper level of the peninsula. I need to weld those upper level legs in place prior to adding drywall to the staging level. I will physically attach them to both the staging and main level cross members for strength. It's not a good idea to weld once the drywall is installed. The September update will include this construction. 

With the spline in place, I was able to continue adding the track in the Carson area. This includes the Shell Oil facility that the Tank Train will service. 


The picture above is the track plan for the Carson area. The red arrow indicates where the spline begins. The purple line of the main track proceeds to the left and descends using a 1.35% grade. 

The picture to the right is the beginning of the spline which is full thickness. Full thickness is 7 layers of 5mm Luan. Overall, the spline will add 70'+ to the main track run to staging. 

Special risers will be built in this area. The benchwork is split on each side of the spline. The part to the wall side of the spline will stay at the same height as the surrounding benchwork and will proceed around the wall corner to access the two industries indicated. 

The aisle side of the benchwork will descend 1/2" to Pacific Scrap Metals. The green line to the left of Pacific Scrap is the backdrop dividing it from the Anheuser-Busch brewery in Van Nuys. The Van Nuys area is accessed from the peninsula being constructed to the left.

Previous track laying progress in Carson was stalled as I needed to determine where the spine would be located and the best method to accomplish the transition from the drywall to the spline. With the spline figured out, I was able to install roadbed and track in the Carson area. 

Progress to Pacific Scrap is waiting for me to complete riser construction and installation for this area. This will be complete in my next update. 








Progress stopped where the benchwork stopped. As noted above, I need to construct more benchwork. Next will be to install feeders and test the track. Once that is complete, I can continue with the upper level installation above this area. That will allow me to complete the Oxnard Yard and the Ventura County Railway interchange.







I'm planning on using a car forwarding system based on prototypical waybill systems as used by Tony Thompson and Steve Bechtold. I'm creating a modified version leveraging ideas from both Steve and Tony for my purpose. 

This requires a new set of car card boxes. I'm a big fan of one box per industry. While that requires many more boxes than the typical Set Out / Pick Up / Hold / Off Spot design, I have found it very effective on the Exeter Branch. Not all prototype practices translate well to the model railroad environment, in my opinion.

Since I'm building my own boxes, well, '3d printing' my own boxes, I am able to customize the design to fit my specific need. I've had a few test designs and have finally settled on a workable solution. My design is modular, allowing me to join multiple boxes together as needed in a switching area on the railroad. 

Here is a final print sample. When implemented, I'll print red boxes for the upper level and gray boxes for the main level. Staging will have white or black boxes and the Ventura County Railway will have yellow boxes. Thus, I have a LOT of printing to do!





This is one of the new boxes on the right. I opted to add raised lettering versus using a label maker to apply the names. The number represents the SPINS number assigned to the industry. I include the name as well for the operator's convenience. 

The numbers and words are all very legible. If I find that when installed, they become harder to read, I will highlight the lettering with another color.







More progress on the spline and building out the benchwork in the next series of pictures.









To the right the full width sweeping spline is complete underneath where the helix will be constructed. More spline to be built as well as more welding of benchwork.



As I complete the peninsula, I will be able to tie in the spline. That will be in next month's update. I hope to complete the staging level in September and begin construction of the main level on the peninsula. 

The month of August wrapped up with adding more feeders and getting the three electromagnets installed for Violet Alley. This project had stalled and needed to be completed.


Installing the magnets involved cutting a hole from the top of the benchwork and fitting the magnet into the hole. As the side of the magnet is a trapezoid, I am able to wedge the magnet into the opening. 

In June, I had posted the picture to the right. You can see the opening or 'hole'  cut thru the drywall and plywood base. I lucked out and missed a riser. The trapezoidal shape of the magnet side is evident as well in the lower right corner. 






Of the three magnets installed, two required track removal for installation. Unfortunately, it was an oversight laying the track too soon ...or installing the electromagnets too late!




A side project was to paint a number of 3d printed lumber loads. I'm satisfied with the results. These have been put into service on the Exeter Branch. More tweaking of the files for printing will enable better results and the correct bracing.



And finally: Not all op sessions go perfectly. Please make sure to tell the layout owner that something has broken. I regularly emphasize to my operators to please let me know when something breaks or is damaged. I know that accidents happen and damage can occur during an operating session. I anticipate that. I just want to know so I can fix it versus discovering it as I stage the railroad.









That's it for this update. I hope you've been having a good summer. I have, and I'm making progress!!!


5 comments:

  1. Rick,I’m stunned at the craftsmanship as well as the labor intensity. You are making huge strides. Your efforts are in our aging me. Good on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. I'm not sure who posted, as it says 'anonymous'

      Delete
  2. Rick: i caught a 3d printing clinic at NMRA last week where speaker was saying that FDM printers with multiple color spools were now becoming very affordable so in the future you could print you box labels in color

    ReplyDelete
  3. that last was Seth, it keeps telling me to post as "Google"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Seth. I'll keep that in mind.

    ReplyDelete