Thursday, August 6, 2015

Just add water

Yesterday, the UPS driver dropped off a package. well 9 packages of Peco code 83 flex track, turnouts, rail joiners, and some Atlas 83 rerailers. I placed one VERY large order for track. About 15% of the order is for friends who wanted to have their track added to my order.

I'd like recognize and thank Chris Coscia at the DCC Shop www.dccshop.com in Coeur d'Alene, ID for helping me out with the large order at a great price. Chris has been a great help and I highly recommend him.

Here is what UPS dropped off



And here is the result after unpackaging. I call it 'Layout in a Box'. Now I need to just add water. Right???



I'm planning to use Atlas 83 flex for all my staging and have already acquired it. I'll use the Peco turnouts for staging. And, each staging track will have Atlas rerailers on each end.

More on staging as I build it. Construction starts next month!

2 comments:

  1. Rick,

    After you add water and stir, let mixture sit for a few minutes - gets the lumps out!

    Absolutely endorse your electrical comments: multi strand wire and drops to every piece of track. What about your drops? Many guys ignore the specs and use smaller wire for drops. I did use 18 gauge for my Digitrax layout (their spec) and just do not have any issues. You probably can get away with 20 ga. wire, but I recommend that you do not go smaller. Also put a capacitor-resister circuit at end of each bus if more than 25-30 ft. as I suspect you are gonna have some really long bus runs.

    I use PSX's to isolate districts. If short circuit lasts for more than a few minutes, the short will spread to other districts. Don't know why and Tony's Trains could not answer the question. That said, the PSX's have been very reliable.

    Lou Adler

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lou. I'm looking to use #20g for feeders. I have a very large mult wire role of it. i've used it for the feeders on the existing railroad and have plenty for the new one.

    Interesting on the PSXs. I think I've seen that affect on the Exeter Branch. Which has caused me to scratch me head a few times.

    ReplyDelete